Cheap Trick @ House Of Blues 2010-02-25 review

 

Cheap Trick is one of the greatest bands ever, the first 4 albums are absolutely perfect from start to finish with a lot of great material and even another masterpiece scattered throughout subsequent releases. Seen them close to 50 times but not much in the last 5 years are so. Some great shows in 1998 and 2001 were untouchable by any bands standards, so the inability to top themselves along with rising prices and static setlists had me pulling back a bit in recent years.

 

With a new album, a revamped setlist and a show at the House Of Blues, which has become the band's natural habitat the last 15 years, I decided it was time to see them again. But at $65 it was a pricey ticket, just $10 less than my 3 night ticket in 1998. And they are still playing 75 minute sets, which usually is fine with me, just not at over a dollar a minute.

 

I was more excited to see my friends who I almost never hang out with any more. Some of them were getting there early so I headed over right from work. After a few hours of hanging out and catching up, I was a whole lot less excited about spending the money and thinking of bailing and catching Visqueen again at Spaceland. Also if I were going to go inside I would want to catch the openers so hitting the sidewalk and getting myself the best possible deal would not have been the best course of action.

 

A few minutes before the doors opened I went to the box office and there were still tickets available. They usually sell out but I guess at those prices they are moving a bit slower. I decided to just spend the money while I still had the spot near the front of the line. At their age and at these prices there may not be many more opportunities. I don't necessarily feel gouged like with Aerosmith or the Rolling Stones and they've earned the right to make a decent living off their music.

 

Unfortunately, something just seemed to be lacking.

 

Opening with the rarely played Way Of The World should have been a moment of spine tingling awesomeness but my excitement was dampered by the really thin sound. They still played the songs really well and sounded good, just not the absolutely monstrous live sound that made me such a dedicated follower. Songs I would usually get excited over (Just Got Back, Auf Wiedersehen) I was somewhat disappointed to hear because they wouldn't inflict the same aural assault I am used to. And they were augmented by 3 additional musicians (Roger Manning and Jason Faulkner of Jellyfish and 80's keyboardist Magic Christian). I could barely hear Tom. I didn't even need earplugs. I wonder if I was in a bad spot or if my friends who still see them several times a year and didn't have any complaints have been slowly acclimated to the weakening intensity.

 

I remember the Glasshouse 1997 show for example as being absolutely brutal.

 

It was one of the most enthusiastic audiences I have ever seen them play to. A lot of young people. Not just the hipsters that would sometimes show up because they heard it was the cool place to be because they were singing along with the new material and the songs not found on the compilations. And regardless of what my classic rock listening and punker fearing friends may say, younger kids make much for a much better crowd. It's why bands I don't even listen to like No Doubt and Rancid put most of my favorites to shame when it comes to concerts. Once upon a time, me, Felicity and maybe one other person I saw a few times were the only people under 30 at Cheap Trick shows but tonight they made up at least a third of the crowd.

 

Other than the return of the keyboards, mostly absent since 1996, it was just another Cheap Trick show. Rick threw out hundreds of guitar pics, Robin is just the greatest singer who ever lived. His voice has never weakened and he always sings the songs perfectly. I just couldn't hear Tom very well.

 

The Royal Highness went on first and got a decent response even though the stage time was a half hour before the start time on the ticket. They played Michael Monroe's "Dead, Jail Or Rock 'N Roll" and even got a good sing along going. I should have stayed on that spot on the railing for Cheap Trick because they were LOUD even with the earplugs in.

 

Ricky Warwick, formerly of the Almighty who I have been meaning to see forever followed and rocked it up as best he could for just one guy with an acoustic guitar. He did Ace Of Spades and a bunch of originals, many about Ireland.

 

All in all, it was at least a fun night out but if that's how the sound is going to be from now on I think I am best left with my memories.

 

Way Of The World Live in New Jersey

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKencfF9Id4

 

Way Of The World House Of Blues 2/25/10

(the audio was recorded from a different spot and synched up)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5GGuAp0F8

 

setlist -

Way Of The World

Come On Come On

California Man

If You Want My Love

I Want You To Want Me

These Days

Baby Loves To Rock

Sleep Forever

Heaven Tonight

Miss Tomorrow

Miracle

Just Got Back

Sick Man Of Europe

Closer, The Ballad of Burt and Linda

Surrender

---

Dream Police

Auf Wiedersehen

 

RICKY WARWICK

 

Church Of Paranoia

Can't Live With Maybe

Belfast Confetti

Ace Of Spades

Can't Wait For Tomorrow

Three Sides To Every Story (with Nathan Connolly from Snow Patrol)

The Arms Of Belfast Town

 

THE ROYAL HIGHNESS

(no setlist)

 

I have seen them 3 times, maybe I should have figured it out by now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neil Young & Crazy Horse (aka Neil Young & Santa Monica Flyers) @ The Roxy 2023-09-20 + 21

Last Call / Brief Intermission