The Raconteurs @ Amoeba Music 2019-06-26
The Raconteurs
Amoeba Music - Hollywood, CA, USA
June 26th, 2019
"Three Feet Away"
VG
A THT (Tapers Helping Tapers) Collaboration
Many thanks go out to ijwthstd who provided his source to make this project possible.
This recording is comprised of two separate sources
Lineage / Equipment:
Source 1: ijwthstd:
(Tracks 1-4): 3rd row of bins to the left (about 10' directly facing left speaker) / fob -> 6.0' h -> sp-cmc-4u's
cards -> bb -> tascam dr-2d (16/44.1).
Source 2: mixter_:
(Tracks 5-6): 2nd row of bins to the left (about 6' directly facing center speaker) / fob -> 6.7' h -> at 853a's
(4.7k dt mod) cards -> naiant pipsqueak pre (+4dB) -> sony pcm-m10 (24/48).
Mixing and Mastering: mixter_: iZotope Rx6 (De-Crackle - source 1 / De-Clip - source2) -> Adobe Audition (edits,
alignment, mixdown, 24/48 to 16/44.1 conversion) -> CD Wave (track splits) -> TLH (FLAC encoding).
K.I.L.L. = Keep It LossLess. Convert to mp3 or shortwave radio for personal use only.
Please do no sell or attempt to profit from this recording. I do ask that any reposts, links
or artwork credit the source. Thank-you.
Setlist:
01. Bored And Razed
02. Don't Bother Me
03. Help Me Stranger
04. Only Child
05. Now That You're Gone
06. Sunday Driver *
27:15
* includes band introductions.
The Raconteurs are...
Brendan Benson – Vocals, Guitar.
Patrick Keeler – Drums.
Jack Lawrence – Bass, Backing Vocals
Jack White – Vocals, Guitar.
Dean Fertita - Keyboards.
The performance:
The Raconteurs bring down the roof to a capacity crowd at Amoeba Music in Hollywood in support of their latest
vinyl "Help Us Stranger". The band sounded fucking amazing with one large caveat to be mentioned later. I had
secured a pair of tickets to the in store performance for myself and fellow taper ijwthstd on the previous Friday.
I showed up to Amoeba at 10:00 AM to get into line for the 6:00 PM show on the following Wednesday. Holy crap! I
wound up having about 20 people in front of me (which suited me). Ijwthstd came about an hour later. We were
finally let into the store around 5:00 PM. The band came on shortly after 6:00 and blasted through a fiery six
song set comprised of half of the songs from the new album. Jack appeared to me more jovial and conversant than
usual. He told us to go home and tell our cousins and cousins' roommates to stream the new record. Congrats on
edging out Lil Nas for the number one spot! Well done guys.
The recording:
Okay so here's the deal. The boys blew the center fill speaker about two minutes into "Bored and Razed". It took the
soundlady the next 3 songs to sort things out. She finally cuts the sound from the speaker about half way through
"Only Child". The damage was already done, so to speak. The speaker emitted a series of very loud pops throughout
the next three songs. To be fair, I think that the Silversun Pickups may have blown the speaker during their
performance of "Lazy Eye' a couple of weeks earlier when levels went to 'leven! Well I took my source and ran it
through Izotope Rx to see if I could salvage something. I was very impressed and somewhat encouraged by the results.
I asked ijwthstd to send over his SP-CMC-4U source, which are rebadged AT u853's. He was positioned facing the left
stack, so he would receive less of the popping noise from the center fill. I processed his source through Rx as well.
It eliminated virtually all of the loud pops. What remains is a knocking noise in the background. The vocals are still
a bit overdriven. However, I think that they were mixed that way.
The first source begins to suffer from a series of digital dropouts during "Now That Your Gone" before cutting out
completely. The recorder divided the track and created two additional files for "Sunday Driver". I think that his SD
card may have had some bad sectors. Source 2 was pretty clean during "Now That You're Gone" and "Sunday Driver" except
that my recorder mic input setting was set to high sensitivity. I recovered most of the peaks with Rx's de-clip function.
The point at which the sources change is the keyboard chord sound before "Now That You're Gone". One more thing. There
is a -3dB dropout during "Only Child" when the center speaker was cut. I have adjusted that portion, but the tonal shift
(a slight reduction in treble) remains.
The recording is less than perfect but still a very listenable capture of a white hot performance.
Please support the band by buying their new album "Help Us Stranger" or by attending one of their shows...
https://www.theraconteurs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theraconteurs/
Enjoy,
mixter_
Comments
Post a Comment