Hoodoo Gurus @ The Roxy 2023-05-23



This show has been sold out for months. I actually had tickets in 2020 which was postponed and eventually canceled but couldn't bear the thought of buying again only to suffer the same loss. Prices were kinda stupid on the secondary but I wasn't too worried, there is sort of a reason that happens at the Roxy. For every show.

Ended up buying the first ticket from the first person I encountered with an extra, handing him whatever he wanted for it. Not messing around for the first Hoodoo Gurus show in 13 years. If I wanted to mess around, I would have taken that $30 to the Hollywood Bowl for night one of the Cure.

Not only did I make it in, there was no opening act to endure so we almost set the scene for a perfect night out.

Unfortunately at the Roxy I can just never relax to enjoy a show. The only place I have been kicked out of. Twice. And the only local venue to cancel my legitimately purchased tickets. Part of the trifecta of shitty WeHo clubs best put under the wrecking ball or at least turned over to the gays who long ago took over the rest of the town. At least they know how to party and are fun to be around. 60 year old not quite rockers anymore on Lipitor commuting from Glendora, not so much.

In case you can't tell, there is a a lot of bad blood between us and I only enter when it's absolutely necessary. Tonight was absolutely necessary.

Was even looking at future tour stops only to find out the road ends here. And who knows when or if they would ever come back. If I lived in Australia I don't think I would.

They took the stage at 8:15 sharp and played until 10:05. All the cliches about a great rock show apply. Dual guitars, band members having fun knowing that even though only 500 people are there, they are there to hear some of the greatest licks and catchiest hooks ever laid down. For a few minutes even I was almost able to forget where I was. I will let the recording speak for the rest of the show

Two songs in I got a message saying I thought I saw you here, want VIP? Usually I would be all over it, but I had a good spot and I was where I belonged, slumming it with my people. If I sat up there sipping a hand delivered Red Bull over ice with the scum who are only there because they have the right hookup I wouldn't be able to show my face at the Redwood again.

Now I am afraid I brought a hellfire of bad karma on myself. Good thing I don't believe in karma or other hipster voodoo. As I staggered out in a daze, I noticed trays full of gum. Hell yeah, Wrigley dropped off free samples. I grabbed some Doublemint immediately popping a stick into my mouth (being in WeHo ya know) and 2 sharpies when security said "Don't take gum that isn't yours." Oops. But if you can't figure out how to sneak gum in, you deserve to lose it. And sharpies are the perfect size for your perfect hiding place.

Walked down Sunset with some tourists in town for all the same events this week and did my best to talk to them out of going to the Whisky A Go Go before I left them to their sad fate and continued on.

The fun didn't stop there. Hoofed down to Santa Monica to catch the 4 because it runs more frequently than the 2.

Public transportation issues are first and forefront on my mind due to current events in the news but I have mostly kept my opinions to myself lest I offend some effete luxuriant who has never not paid for parking. But I am going to share this.

One stop over I hear "But I have to get off the street" and then boards a slender late 20-something with multiple fresh injuries including a gaping wound on the top of his forehead.

He sits two seats down on the front side facing bench. He wipes fresh blood with an already brown and red stained white T-shirt. More wounds and possibly some older scabs down his arms. I notice his knuckles are all scraped.

Did he start the fight, finish it or mouth off to the wrong automobile?

After a mile or so he says "next stop please." I press the button and he says "thank you" before departing. In addition to not pressing the button, he didn't leave any obvious blood stains which is more than you can say for me taking the bus home from a Gwar show. He was very polite to the end, but maybe he didn't want another stomping.

The 4 could get pretty wild even pre-pandemic but I will save those stories for another day.

HOODOO GURUS @ ROXY THEATRE (untracked wav)  2023-05-23    https://we.tl/t-wXbt2kb3PS

The intro tape and maybe first few seconds thereafter is a little messy but I decided to adjust my mic strategy. I told you I can't relax at the Roxy.

Postcript: With regards to the first sentence, since almost everything sells out at the Roxy, a lot of brokers buy 4 packs for all events knowing if they eat or lose they may still come ahead. No one inside was paying $150. At least I hope not. I knew those prices wouldn't hold even if they are technically worth it. I would sometimes play that game with differing results if the ad features a cute pop tart or skanky rapper. Based on past experiences I didn't play too much even if the close auditing for suspect purchases may have ended when AEG/AXS took over from the previous vendor and promoters.

Several years ago I had a unsold tickets for something the same night as a Rainbow bash. It was half over but I scanned my friend in so he could have some space to chill and avoid the exit crowds and wait out traffic.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the share! Is there any chance of getting a setlist? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say this is an untracked wav, they ended with What's My Scene and other than cleaning up the intro tape, it's all I have heard thus far

      Delete
  2. http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=752950

    CD 1:
    01. (Let's All) Turn On
    02. Answered Prayers
    03. (Faulkner talks)
    04. Another World
    05. Brainscan (aborted)
    06. Be My Guru
    07. Out That Door
    08. (Faulkner introduces road crew)
    09. Hang With the Girls
    10. Zanzibar
    11. When You Get to California
    12. Axegrinder
    13. The Right Time
    14. Chariot of the Gods
    15. I Want You Back
    16. Miss Freelove '69
    17. Equinox
    18. 1000 Miles Away
    19. Come Anytime
    20. Come Anytime (reprise)

    CD 2:
    01. Tojo
    02. Poison Pen
    03. Bittersweet
    04. I Was a Kamikaze Pilot
    05. (encore break)
    06. Dig It Up
    07. Leilani
    08. Like Wow - Wipeout
    09. (encore pause)
    10. Good Times
    11. What's My Scene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for this gret show!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neil Young & Crazy Horse (aka Neil Young & Santa Monica Flyers) @ The Roxy 2023-09-20 + 21

Last Call / Brief Intermission