June 18 / June 20
Marks the end of the 30 year Mystery Drive project. That date he recorded One Truth Band at Santa Monica Civic in 1979 which I wasn't able to get to last year when I restarted after a month break. Or is it June 20, a multi-act comedy show in 2013 I may or may not open?
1994 was the chance meeting at first Nine Inch Nails at the Palace, in which I completely spaced and then the Rolling Stones show at the Rose Bowl where he remembered and approached me after the show.
There is a still a massive jam band folder I will cross reference with what's already out there but will be a much lower priority. I know some people want every note and burp recorded from angle of certain bands but that's not really my problem.
Also a few undated recordings and stuff deemed to terrible to listen to that I might still put out anyway. For the historians. So I guess it's not really done but just a much lower priority though already digging into undated stuff. It's all early to mid 1970's Florida and his first few California shows when he moved here in 1977.
This will likely be the cut off date for anniversary posts from the few master collections I have been working with the last few years though I might overlap a few more days. Or not. With a few exceptions, they are all "out there." And my definition of "out there" is not here."
Then we move into the next phase. No, I am not starting over at the beginning. Toward the end this started to become more labor than love but I was determined to finish it up and we are almost there.
I do have hundreds of repost requests. HUNDREDS.
I might consider some once this project is done and I have sufficiently rested, but I really have no interest in running an "on-demand" site unless maybe I can figure some way to monetize this (ads, affiliate download links etc). I know that's frowned upon but what club would I get kicked out of for breaking the hippie / Grateful Dead trading mores I never agreed to or got to vote on now that I have everything I want that I am ever going to get anyway?
I always knew this was going to happen but since I can't just run my own server there isn't much I can do about it. Part of the reason to put it all out is that I am pretty much anti-hoarding when it comes to the historical record so now I cannot be considered the only one to have these. To be fair I have posted plenty of last call posts. If I feel the need to address it further I will tag it with a million band names so you can't miss it.
I am most interested in enjoying my summer which technically starts June 21, hopefully this time without any major disruptions. More shows, more travel, more things to do and enjoy around town since getting forced out of California seems imminent at this point. So much here I have still never seen. Still want to visit the Reagan and Nixon libraries. Maybe go to the pier, go watch planes at the airport, remember to add free museum day to the calendar.
This all started during lockdown and I am not locked down anymore.
Also the proliferation of homemade history documentaries on YouTube is now pulling at me harder than the music so unless someone wants to dump another massive amount of uncirculated recordings on me that I might enjoy listening to, there is going to much reduced traffic.
Maybe I will post more about that particular taper and how I met him. I wanted to post his obituary in January 2023 but I was concerned Nirvana fans would try to contact his family members in search of the actual cassettes themselves or just to hit them up with "do you know if he taped this band or that band." Well, those master tapes have been gone for almost 20 years but they do still pop up on Ebay from time to time. So look there.
Anyway I hope you didn't read all that, I will post another note when I think I am done and figure what the next phase is going to be which I am mostly decided on anyway. I do love doing this but probably not going to be spending several hours a day once this project has been deemed concluded.
Thanks for everything you do. You've shared far more than I ever could.
ReplyDeleteas always, everything you do is appreciated. thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a fine journey, indeed a long strange welcomed appreciated road. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSuzi
Thank you for all your time and effort in getting the shows out there. Much appreciated..
ReplyDeleteYES. Thank you for all of the shows! So many great shows. Some I couldn't download for whatever reason (WeTransfer issues with some links) but still...I found plenty here to be EXTREMELY HAPPY I stopped to look around. You are a great person for spending so much time doing this for us all out here... Thank you! FYSMD-MKE
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU!! Enjoy some you time!
DeleteIt has been a fine run and you've already done enough for us. Best of luck wherever you go, whatever you do, whenever you do it.
DeleteThanks for the recordings, greatly appreciated!
ReplyDeleteThanx for all the great stuff over the years ;-)
ReplyDeleteHave appreciated everything you do since I found this site. Whichever direction you go in I will still be visiting virtually daily whatever comes as long as the site exists. .
ReplyDeleteYes, I read it all. :) Thanks for all the work and sharing. We'll keep sharing. Have a good summer break.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dan!
ReplyDeleteLove ya
ReplyDeleteAlways thanks for everything Dan.
ReplyDelete