All Hail The Mystery Drive!

 this is a post I wrote directing people to this blog but might as well post here as a bit of an explanation of the ongoing project:



All hail the mystery drive!

A longtime taper active from 1971 to 2017, never involved in tape trading and torrenting circles and who's collection I have been looting relentelessly since a chance meeting in 1994 (first cassettes, then discs, then DVD's with raw waves, then uploads) just upgraded his hard drives and sent me his old ones with pretty much everything he ever recorded in raw AIFF format.

In many cases the quality is a bit lower than what we have been used to but often times the material is so rare you might want it anyway (this is the guy who recorded possibly the only 2 N.W.A. shows in existence and a lot of the other rap stuff and some of the only recordings of flash in the pan bands of the early punk era).

I am not going to remember to post on every site and Facebook group, message board and torrent site. Once something is finished I will put on WeTransfer and upload to this blog. Doubt there will be many re-re-re-posts. Once it's up and out, I lay no claim to the contents and all credit belongs to the artists so you can torrent, use your own filehost and post wherever you want in whatever format without any attribution.

Doubtful I will be entertaining too many requests etc, just whatever I feel like listening to at the time, pull it, track it and upload.

This couldn't have come at a better time. Pre-pandemic I would go to 200 plus shows a year and now that things are ramping up again, after over a year of freedom to indulge my introverted/avoidant side I just don't feel like going anywhere or doing anything or interacting with anyone under any circumstances at all. I wouldn't be surprised if I only go to 4 shows this summer for example. So I am happy to just stay home and work on these.

Every once in awhile if the content is deemed just too awful to deal with I might just post the raw file for the historians to try to digest anyway. Otherwise I don't need any help and nothing is going to be outsourced. I am all about the process more than the results.

NO KISS shows! He was already in high school when they hit so he is a bit too old for them. Most major acts have already been grabbed years ago so we are in the more exciting and adventurous territory of the musical fringes.

Enjoy!




Comments

  1. Thank you! Let me know if you are looking for anything at all. The Crazy Horse shows were great btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to lend a hand on anything, if you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neil Young & Crazy Horse (aka Neil Young & Santa Monica Flyers) @ The Roxy 2023-09-20 + 21

Last Call / Brief Intermission